The Sun Developer Network has posted a recording of the talk that Paul and I gave at JavaOne. The talk is titled "Project Wonderland: A Toolkit for Building 3D Virtual Worlds." The talk was a mix of demos and technical content, focusing on how to extend Wonderland by building custom cells.
You can listen to the talk synchronized with the slides, or download the whole talk here:
Note: you will need a free Sun Developer Network account to view the recording.
Unfortunately, there is no video, so you won’t be able to see all our cool demos. But the technical content is (hopefully) worthwhile. Additionally, since JavaOne, we’ve flushed out the documentation on how to build a custom cell with a set of tutorials on the wiki:
- Part 1 – Extending Wonderland with a custom cell type
- Part 2 – Handle the reconfigure of a cell’s properties dynamically.
- Part 3 – Texture your shape with an image.
- Part 4 – Handle input events for your cell.
- Part 5 – Synchronize a cell’s state across multiple Wonderland clients.
The ability to create custom cells with Java code is one of the most important features of Wonderland, so we’re excited to get as many people as possible exploring the possibilities!